Lingo Woman's Google tips for translators #1

Translation can often require a great deal of research. There are, of course, a variety of information sources that may be used. The Internet is a particularly useful one.

Now I don't know about you, but I use Google for every translation I do. Until recently, my Google search was limited to simply typing in a phrase and wading through page after page of results to find the information I was after. That was until, however, I discovered some useful tips to help me streamline my Google results and therefore increase the efficiency of my searches. I am going to share these tips with you through a series of blogs. I hope they prove as useful to you as they have done to me. They have certainly saved me a great deal of time. Something which I am sure you will agree is of the essence in the translation world!

You may already know about some (or all) of these, but for those of you who don't, here we go with the first of the series. I find this one particularly useful and use it so much I wonder how I ever did a Google search without it...

Exact phrase (" ")
The exact phrase operator does exactly what it says on the tin; it will only bring up pages containing the exact phrase typed between the quotes, meaning you can filter out a great deal of unnecessary 'junk'. Here's an example so you can see what I mean:

Search phrase: freelance translation
Search results: 24,100,000 results containing any combination of the words 'freelance', 'translate', 'translation', 'translator' etc.

(Now using the exact phrase operator)
Search phrase: "freelance translation"
Search results: 191,000 results all containing the exact phrase 'freelance translation'.

Much more like it I think you will agree! 

Yours truly,
Lingo Woman

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete