Can you learn a language in 8 weeks?!

Or, more precisely, can I learn a language in 8 weeks?! In preparation for my holiday to Portugal in just 8 weeks' time, I thought I might make things a little more interesting and set myself a mini challenge...to learn Portuguese! "Why?" you ask. Well, why not! Just for fun I guess.

So, what do you think?! Can it be done? I'm sure some of you out there have tried this already and have tips you could share. Any help would be appreciated! I've already drawn lots of inspiration from the fantastic blog Fluent in 3 months (go check it out!)

I should probably clarify exactly what it is I'm hoping to achieve. I'm not crazy enough to think that I might become fluent in just 8 weeks, but I'm aiming for what is referred to as 'basic fluency'. That is, to be able to hold a conversation in Portuguese and understand most of what is said to me (always helpful!).

Ok, so admittedly I already have a pretty good head start given that I already speak French, Italian and Spanish fluently, but every language has its own challenges. I've been told that Portuguese pronunciation can be a little tricky to master, so I guess this is going to be one of the biggest hurdles for me.

So what's the plan?

I plan to spend 2-3 hours per day working on learning Portuguese. I will be focusing on learning the basic grammatical structure, building up my vocabulary and getting as much listening and speaking practice as I possibly can.

Of course, I have a few tools ready to help me in my mission. I've purchased Hugo in 3 months: Portuguese. I've also signed up to a great website called Live Mocha, which combines grammar exercises, assignments, vocabulary building and, best of all, the chance to chat with native speakers of your chosen language. Exactly what I need! Other than that, I'm going to employ some of my favourite 'tried and tested' language learning methods, reading plenty of Portuguese articles online and listening to Portuguese music.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Yours truly,
Lingo Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment